Saturday, June 12, 2010
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 6 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
* ½ cup Port wine (this caused mine to be dark - use sherry if lighter in color desired)
* ½ cup vinegar
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons dried cherries
* ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
* 1 bay leaf
* 20 black peppercorns, cracked
Place all ingredients in a non-reactive, thick-bottomed pot over low heat. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated and onions are translucent. (30-40 minutes) Set aside to cool.
Place in glass jars and refrigerate.