- 4 quarts cucumbers, cliced (about 6 lbs.)
- 1 1.2 cups onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup canning salt
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 quarts crushed ice
- 4 ½ cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions, garlic and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again. Remove garlic cloves.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; and heat for 5 minutes. (Caution: Do not boil or pickles will be mushy). Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Have water boiling when jars are placed in water bath so that pickles are in the hot and boiling water the shortest time possible. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Start counting processing time as soon as water returns to boiling. Remove jars. Cool upright on rack away from draft.